Sunday, August 25, 2013

Speak Book Review

Speak
Laurie Halse Anderson
Publisher: Square Fish


 

Book Description
 

Since the beginning of the school year, high school freshman Melinda has found that it's been getting harder and harder for her to speak out loud: "My throat is always sore, my lips raw.... Every time I try to talk to my parents or a teacher, I sputter or freeze.... It's like I have some kind of spastic laryngitis." What could have caused Melinda to suddenly fall mute? Could it be due to the fact that no one at school is speaking to her because she called the cops and got everyone busted at the seniors' big end-of-summer party? Or maybe it's because her parents' only form of communication is Post-It notes written on their way out the door to their nine-to-whenever jobs. While Melinda is bothered by these things, deep down she knows the real reason why she's been struck mute...
 

My Thoughts
 

This book was so phenomenal. The writing in it was so unique.  I loved that it was written from the main characters point of view, it added so much more depth to the story because when authors write from a specific perspective I find you get much more details that are actually vital to the story than when it is written in third person.
 

‘Speak’ touches on a very sensitive subject, rape; however I am very glad that this book was written. I think it can and has helped a lot of people. A lot of people that go through traumatic experiences like rape don’t know how to feel after. Or they just lock everything up inside, everyone handles it differently but one thing is for sure they all feel cut off from the world. I definitely think this book was done brilliantly, it told the story of a girl who was practically mute because of what had happened to her and no one ever knew why.


I loved the writing, I loved Melinda, and she represents so many lost souls out there and gives them the guidance on how to get back to life. This book teaches you to overcome the tough things in life and live through them. I give it a phenomenal and mind blowing rating that I can’t even properly put into words.


* I bought this book of my own accord and decided to review it. All opinions are my own. I did not receive any compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment