Welcome Renata and thank you so much for taking the time out to spend with us batty ones today :)
1. So first let me say MEAN absolutely blew me away, I have never read anything like it and I was just mind blown. Where did your inspiration come from for that book?
Thank you so much for saying that, Chasity. I really loved your review of ‘Mean’.
2. Both of your books are very deep, dark reads, are any of the experiences based on someone you know or events in your own life?
3. What books have most influenced your life?
I’ve been a compulsive reader ever since I learn how to read. I used to read anything, but when I was 13, I read “The Killing Doll”, by Ruth Rendell. I was completely hooked up to the genre! Recently, “A Cupboard Full of Coats”, by Yvvette Edwards, and “What They Do in the Dark”, by Amanda Coe.
4. If you had to come up with a soundtrack for My Sore Hush-A-Bye what are some songs that would be on there?
Mama Cass would be in almost every scene, that's for sure! Especially "All the Pretty Little Horses", (the song that inspired the title) by The Big Three, featuring Mama Cass.
And a lot of old songs: The Beatles, Johnny Cash, Petula Clark, David Bowie, Desi Arnaz (Rick Ricardo),The Carpenters, etc. I’d buy that CD! J
5. My Sore Hush-A-Bye is a book that tells a story that unfortunately happens much more than we would like it to, is there a message you would like to give to girls that may have experienced something like Camilla did?
6. Is there anything you find particularly challenging in your writing?
My mind is chaotic. I have ADD, so it’s not easy to focus. Sometimes I have so many pieces of the story wanting to be told at the same time that it’s a challenge to write one at a time.
7. What are you currently working on?
8. Who are some of your favorite authors and what do you like about their writing?
Ruth Rendell, first of all. The way she presents apparently random facts and people to perfectly tangle them along the story is fascinating.
9. Who designed the covers for you books?
My daughter and I. She’s a great artist, and also an amazing model!
10. Will you continue to write these deep, intense stories or do you see yourself branching out into other genres someday down the road?
I’ll definitely continue on this path. I am a very positive and—people normally say—funny person despite my past. I chose to be happy, and I don’t even like to watch the news, because I don’t want to hear about the horrible things happening in the world… However, when it comes to writing, all I can produce are dark, twisted and damaged people! I believe that the first complete book I wrote was called Angellina’s Curse. It was a school project on second grade about a city consumed by fire after a criminal attack! My teacher loved it, but I think she was a little worried about me...
You can visit Renata here:
You can purchase her books here:
My Sore Hush-A-Bye:http: http://www.amazon.com/Sore-Hush---Bye-Renata-Barcelos/dp/148010034X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351910125&sr=8-1&keywords=my+sore+hush+a+bye
Publishing Date: November 2, 2012
After her mother left a puzzling note leaving her in the care of Uncle Bob, she had a rough go of it, not wanting to conform to his rigorous rules and this new life. But she learned. She learned to love and accept her sheltered life.
That all starts to change when Camille finally goes to public school once she reaches her teenage years. She meets a friend who mysteriously disappears. She has suspicions that Uncle Bob may not be the perfect man she once thought. She starts thinking about her mother.
Most important of all, she begins to grow up, and that is what changes everything...
Now for the giveaway!! Renata has been kind enough to gift a paperbook copy of her lastest novel My Sore Hush-A-Bye and boy let me tell you, whoever wins is a very lucky duck :) It's a great book!!
Open to the US only, sorry guys.
Fill out the rafflecopter below
The winner will be announced on here and will be contacted by email, the winner will have 48 hours to respond before I will be forced to choose another winner.
Have fun and please share the word!!!
a Rafflecopter giveaway