Saturday, April 20, 2013

A Diamond In My Pocket Book Review

A Diamond In My Pocket
Lorena Angell
May 27, 2011

 

Book Description

 

 

Calli Courtnae, age 16, unexpectedly breaks the 100-meter world record at a high school track meet and is whisked off to Montana to train for Olympic tryouts. Upon arriving, however, she finds something totally unexpected. Her fellow athletes are secretive, mysterious, paranoid, uncommonly beautiful — and endowed with the same gift of superhuman speed that she now exhibits. The truth, Calli learns, is that she has been brought to Montana to join an elite clan of Runners who train to undertake highly secret missions for the benefit of superhuman kids everywhere.

When three Runners from her compound are kidnapped by a clan of evil terrorists who can kill with their thoughts, Calli is assigned to the team that must deliver a rare magic diamond to the terrorists in exchange for the hostages. Calli is just beginning to accept her new world when it is turned upside-down by a mysterious woman who secretly gives Calli the real diamond, while the team leader is given a decoy. Almost immediately the magic diamond in Calli’s pocket unleashes within her a startling range of supernatural powers and mind-reading abilities. Using her newfound powers, Calli exposes traitors among her team, discovers that the hottest-looking guy on the team believes she is his soulmate, has visions of her companions’ tragic futures, and learns that she alone holds the power to change their futures. While Calli knows that her powers derive from the secret diamond in her pocket, her companions do not, and Calli dreads the fast-approaching day when they will discover the truth.

 

 

My Thoughts

 

I really enjoyed this book,  I think the plot was very unique. I have never read a book that was even similar to ‘A Diamond in My Pocket.’ The title totally threw me for a loop, the book was not at all how I expected for it to be from the title, but I was pleasantly surprised. It was a very good read, the characters were strong and on point. I liked the way the story was written, there was a lot of mystery left with the way it was written and I really enjoy stories that are written like that.

 

This book had a little bit of everything, and I don’t think it is necessarily a young adult book I think it could appeal to a broader audience as well. I really enjoyed this story and hope you read more about these characters.

 

I would definitely recommend this book to everyone, it’s a very unique read and like I said earlier I think a range of different age groups can enjoy this book.

 
* I got this book for free on amazon and reviewed of my accord. All opinions in this review are my own. I did not recieve comepensation for this review.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful insight into a book I would never otherwise know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Chasity, thanks for reviewing my book! I appreciate your opinion and the time involved. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete