Saturday, January 28, 2012

Tempted (House of Night) Book Review

Tempted
P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
St. Martin’s Griffin
ISBN: 978-0-312-37984-1

            In the sixth ‘House of Night’ novel, ‘Tempted’ we return to Zoey Redbird’s story in defeating evil and following in the path her Goddess, Nyx, has laid out for her. This installment was definitely a step up in the series, at least to me it was. It tugged at all kinds of emotions. Zoey went from being a normal teenage girl, and then one day out of the blue she was marked and began her life as a vampire. To watch her go through the struggles and have to try to grow up so quickly and deal with life and death situations, it can really mess you up, so it touches something inside you. I think once you start this series you have no choice but to continue it, you are hooked.

            I was glad to see the guy drama simmer down a little bit in ‘Tempted’ it got a little repetitive in the last book. Zoey focuses more on her own feelings in this one which seems to be a bundle of confusion. After chasing Neferet and Kalona off the group gets their bearings straight, licks their wounds, and try to move onto the next plan in stopping Kalona and Neferet in taking over the world. However bonds are being tested in this installment. Some of Zoey’s closest friends are keeping secrets from her. Secrets that could hurt much more than her feelings. The big question is when it comes down to the big battle will everyone be by her side or will some of them turn their back on her when she needs them the most.

            I was very happy to see chapters in other characters point of views. It gave the novel a whole new feel and gives fans new insight into their favorite characters minds. I was also happy to see less typo’s in this installment. Only two by my count which is a major improvement from ‘Hunted’ where there were numerous blunders and even name mishaps. Although there were some things that I wish we could just be done with like Zoey’s constant diarrhea talk and her use of words like, “bullpoopie” I mean if you are constantly in life or death situations I highly doubt that you would care very much about cussing here and there.  Also I wish there was a longer scene with the Vampyre Council. I just feel it was skipped over way too quickly, especially with so much chaos going on. You would think that with everything going on, the Vampyre Council would want to get down to the bottom of it.

I loved the first four books in the series and I wasn’t too happy with ‘Hunted’ and I was a little withdrawn when I began ‘Tempted’ but ‘Tempted’ recaptured my love for these characters and this story line. ‘Tempted’ was one of my favorite books in the series and I can’t wait to sink my teeth into the next one.


* I purchased this book on my own accord and decided to review it. I was not compensated for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment