Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Identical Book Review

Identical
Ellen Hopkins
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Publishing Date: September 16, 2008

 



Book Description

 

Do twins begin in the womb?

Or in a better place?

Kaeleigh and Raeanne are identical down to the dimple. As daughters of a district-court judge father and a politician mother, they are an all-American family -- on the surface. Behind the facade each sister has her own dark secret, and that's where their differences begin.

For Kaeleigh, she's the misplaced focus of Daddy's love, intended for a mother whose presence on the campaign trail means absence at home. All that Raeanne sees is Daddy playing a game of favorites -- and she is losing. If she has to lose, she will do it on her own terms, so she chooses drugs, alcohol, and sex.

Secrets like the ones the twins are harboring are not meant to be kept -- from each other or anyone else. Pretty soon it's obvious that neither sister can handle it alone, and one sister must step up to save the other, but the question is -- who?

 

My Thoughts

 

Ellen Hopkins is definitely one of my tops for favorite authors. Anything she writes I just devour. ‘Identical’ was no different, it was a non-stop, drama filled; punch you in the gut kind of book. I couldn’t put it down. Ellen writes her books in such a unique poetic way and yet they pack such a punch that they hit my emotions much harder than any book written in regular verse.

 

‘Identical’ touches some very tough issues. Incest, death, attempted suicide, and eating disorders are just a few of them. The girls in this story are identical twins and they go through hell and the sad thing is there are girls all over the world that live through their own personal hell every day. This is their reality. That is one of my favorite things about Ellen’s books; she hits on dark subjects and sheds light on them. It makes them more known, when a lot of people live in a world of denial.

 

‘Identical’ was such a great book, I don’t even think I can do it justice in words. The ending was such a mind warp, let me tell you! It was crazy! I did not see that coming in any shape or form. It was a shocker. I won’t give any of it away because it is just too good to spoil.

You will just have to read it for yourself and trust me you don’t want to miss this book!
 
 

* I bought this book of my own accord and decided to review it. All opinions expressed in this review are my own. I did not receive compensation for this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment