Sunday, June 3, 2012

Tricks Book Review

Tricks
Ellen Hopkins
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Publishing Date: December 6, 2011
ISBN: 978-1416950080
Genre: Addiction, Non-Fiction

Book Description:


“When all choice is taken from you, life becomes a game of survival.”
Five teenagers from different parts of the country. Three girls. Two guys. Four straight. One gay. Some rich. Some poor. Some from great families. Some with no one at all. All living their lives as best they can, but all searching . . . for freedom, safety, community, family, love. What they don’t expect, though, is all that can happen when those powerful little words, “I love you,” are said for all the wrong reasons. These are five moving stories that remain separate at first, then weave together to tell a larger, more powerful story–a story about making choices, taking leaps of faith, falling down, and growing up. And figuring out what sex and love are all about.
TRICKS is informed and inspired by living near Las Vegas–a big teen prostitution scene–and by the fact that teen prostitution is not exclusively the result of kids running away from abuse. Kids from “better” families are selling themselves for hefty sums in order to finance addictions or even just to buy jewelry or clothing. In some cases, parents prostitute their children for the same reason. So what happens to the kids who are asking themselves, and asking us, “Can I ever feel OK about myself?”
Highly charged, TRICKS is a gripping experience that turns you on and repels you at the same time.

My Thoughts:
                Ellen Hopkins is by far one of my favorite authors out there, her books are so truly unique and I’m addicted to her books. ‘Tricks’ was the one that I read most recently and I have to say it may be my favorite one so far. ‘Tricks’ touched on such a deeply disturbing issue that affects teens all over the world, teens that comes from all different kinds of backgrounds and you don’t really realize it affects them but it does. Teenage prostitution happens every day all around the world and ‘Tricks’ touches on this subject  in every way possible.

                It takes six different teenagers from very different worlds and shows how every event or tragedies in their lives lead them down the dangerous and slippery slope of prostitution. Ellen’s books are so amazing they share real life drama and sad stories you wouldn’t want to face but many families have.

                I love the way she writes it is so unique and it makes her books stand out against the rest. ‘Tricks’ was such a captivating story with so many twists and turns that it will keep you on the edge of your seat , anxious to turn the page until the very end. I promise you will not be able to put this book down, it will pull you in and not let go. Excellent work by Ellen Hopkins yet again and I cannot wait for another book from her.


* I purchased this book on my own accord and decided to review it. I was not compensated for this review.

1 comment:

  1. Never heard of this book before but I'll definitely be checking it out ;) But great review :D
    xoxo, Mariam @Book-A-Holic

    ReplyDelete